Need help now?

If you need help now, this information can help to point you in the right direction.

Most of our services only accept referrals from organisations and partners we work with, usually local authorities or health and social care services. Individuals cannot usually refer themselves. There are a small number of exceptions and you can find out more about these here.

We have included some information and useful links for other organisations that may be able to help you if you require help now.

Your local authority’s housing department or Housing Options Service is usually the best place to start. You can find their contact details through Homeless Link.

Shelter’s Advice Finder can help you find local face-to-face advice services or you can call their Freephone National Housing Advice Line on 0808 800 44 44 (Monday – Friday, 8am to 8pm, weekends 8am – 5pm).

If you’re sleeping rough or you know someone who is, contact Street Link to link you into available local support.

If you’re a woman fleeing domestic violence you can contact the National Domestic Violence Helpline – you can call them 24 hours a day on 0808 2000 247.

Talk to your GP, dial 999 or go to your nearest Accident and Emergency department (A&E)

Contact your local crisis home treatment team or refer to your crisis plan if you have one

Talk to someone you trust and feel comfortable with

Contact a trained professional

    • You can contact The Samaritans 24 hours a day – call 116 123 or email
    • You can also contact the Mind infoline 0300 123 3393 (weekdays 9am – 6pm) or email

If you’re under 18, and experiencing abuse or violence at home or are at risk of becoming homeless, contact your local council and speak their Children’s Services  or homelessness team. You can also speak to someone in confidence by contacting Childline on 0800 111 or visiting

If you are a care leaver, you may be able to get help with housing from your local Social Services Team. Get in touch with them or your local Housing Department at your local council to see what support is available where you live.

Coram Voice can help you find and access independent advice from advocacy services in your local area.

British Institute of Learning Disabilities (BILD) provides up-to date news, information and resources

Our Families and Carers page can also point you in the right direction for information, advice and support specifically for families and carers.

Call the Customer Contact Centre for help with:

–       Repairs & maintenance

–       Gardening & communal cleaning

–       Facilities & security

–       Complaints

–       Housing & rent

–       General enquiries

t: 0333 010 4600