In this area of our website, we signpost you to a range of resources and organisations that may be able to help.
If you need help with accessing any of this help, please contact your Support Worker or contact us at email@example.com.
If you need Easy Read materials, help and advice please visit:
The Government has set-up a range of measures to help you with bills. Most of these will automatically be paid to you if you are in receipt of benefits or passed on your income. However, it is worth checking that you are getting all the help you are entitled to. Here is an outline of the range of measures available Household costs – Help for HouseholdsHelp for Households - Gov.uk
Energy costs are the most worrying factor for many of us as winter approaches. Again, there are a range of ways you can receive help with your energy bills through benefits announced by the Government. View the range of support available here:
In addition, many of the major energy suppliers have set out ways to help people who are struggling or pay off mounting debts.
If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant to help pay it off.
Check out your suppliers help below:
- British Gas Energy Support Fund - apply for a grant on the British Gas Energy Trust website
- Scottish Power Hardship Fund - apply for a grant on the Scottish Power Hardship Fund website
- Ovo Energy Fund - apply for a grant on the Ovo Energy Fund website
- E.ON Energy Fund - apply for a grant on the E.ON Energy Fund website
- E.ON Next Energy Fund - apply for a grant on the E.ON Next Energy Fund website
- EDF Energy Customer Support Fund - sign up to the priority services register to apply for a grant on the EDF Energy website
- Shell Energy Support Fund - apply for help on the Shell Energy website
If your supplier isn’t listed it’s a good idea to contact them directly to see what extra support they can give you.
If you can’t get a grant from own your supplier, you might be able to get a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust. These grants are available to anyone – you don’t have to be a British Gas customer. You’ll need to get debt advice before applying - get help from a debt adviser.
If you’ve already spoken to a debt adviser - check if you can get a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust.
Before you apply, have a look at the Citizens Advice website for more help and information.
OFGEM Priority Services Register
People classed as being in a ‘vulnerable situation’ can also sign up for a priority service register with their energy company to ensure they get priority help and support if there is an issue with their supply.
You can check if you are sign up to this register by contacting your supplier or network operator. Ask your Support Worker for help or information is available in a range of formats including braille, large print or different languages and more information can be found on the OFGEM website’s dedicated page.
Some of the Government grants and help are being distributed via local authorities. This involves local food banks and cash grants as well as support with council tax reductions.
Each council has approached this differently. We’ve linked below to the main councils we work with. If you can’t find your local authority in this list or via a google search, then get in touch and we’ll try and help.
There are a range of charities and groups that can provide you with food to help you out if you are struggling to buy food. Often you can find details on local Facebook group or local authority websites. If not try one of these national charities who can point you in the right direction.
- Check out Martin Lewis the Money Saving Expert for a range of ways to save money – this article shows 90 ways to survive the cost of living crisis
- Check whether you may be eligible for any other grants or financial assistance by looking at the Turn2Us website
- Contact your water provider to see if you are eligible for a social tariff – you may be able to reduce your costs
- Contact your Broadband provider to see if they have a social tariff that you could switch to – you may be able to reduce your costs